Section 5 Appendix B
(110 ILCS 520/8a)
- The Board shall provide each member of the Southern Illinois University Police Department without cost to him public liability insurance covering him for any liability which arises out of his employment to the extent of the insurance policy limits which shall be not less than $50,000.
- The Board shall have power to insure the Board, the universities under Board jurisdiction, Board members, paid and unpaid employees of the Board, and any students, volunteer workers, visiting faculty and professionals who are agents of the Board in the performance or delivery of its programs or services against claims, damages, losses, expenses and civil suits arising out of statements, acts or omissions in the discharge of their duties, which statements, acts or omissions do not involve intentional or willful and wanton misconduct on the part of such persons; and to insure against losses to real and personal property owned by the Board or in the actual or constructive custody of the Board and for loss of income from such real and personal property. The Board shall have power to defend, hold harmless and indemnify, in whole or in part, all persons as to whom any such insurance is provided. Pursuant to its power to insure, the Board may establish and accumulate reserves for payment of such claims, damages, losses, expenses and civil suit awards or obtain insurance affording coverage for such matters. Reserves established by the Board for the foregoing purpose shall be subject to the following conditions:
- The amount of such reserves shall not exceed the amount necessary and proper, based on past experience or independent actuarial determinations;
- All earnings derived from such reserves shall be considered part of the reserves and may be used only for the same purposes for which the reserves may be used;
- Reserves may be used only for the purposes of making payments for civil suits, claims, damages, losses and expenses, including attorneys fees, claims investigation costs and actuarial studies associated with liabilities arising out of statements, acts or omissions of individuals in the discharge of their duties, which statements, acts or omissions do not involve intentional or willful and wanton misconduct on the part of such individuals, for payment of insurance premiums, and for the purposes of making payments for losses resulting from any insured peril;
- All funds collected for the purposes specified in paragraph (c) or earmarked for such purposes must be placed in the reserves;
- Whenever the reserves have a balance in excess of what is necessary and proper, then contributions, charges, assessments or other forms of funding for the reserves shall be appropriately decreased.
- As to all claims, damages, losses, expenses and civil suits covered by insurance provided by the Board or as to which the Board has not provided insurance, to the extent permitted by law, sovereign Immunity shall apply and recourse shall be limited to the Court of Claims.
- When permitted by law to enter into an agreement with any unit of government, institution of higher education, person, or corporation for the use of property or the performance of any function, service or act, the Board may agree to the sharing or allocation of liabilities and damages resulting from such use of property or performance of any function, service or act. Such agreement may provide for contribution or indemnification by any or all of the parties to the agreement upon any liability arising out of the performance of the agreement. (Source: P.A. 84-1126.)